Search Painting Topics on this Blog.

Friday, December 28, 2007

The Right products to use

Recently my brother called me and asked be about painting his cabinets. He told me that we wanted a job that was going to last because he was happy with the quality of the wood but not the color of the stain on the cabinets. I told him the best application for a quality finish. He bought the producs and I helped him correctly use a HVLP Sprayer after some tedious prep work.

This got me to thinking about the correct products and work effort for an individuals needs. My brother wanted a high quality finish. As such we purchased high quality primer, enamel, made sure to cut the first coat of enamel, sanded between coats and used the correct sprayer equipment. The end result was flawless. However, if I tryed to sell the same job to a rental property owner that wanted some cabinets "painted," I would have a hard time convincing him that the extra time in prep and painting is worth the extra money it would cost him. The same thing happend earlier this year when A customer of mine told me that the most important thing for her was that my estimate fit into her budget. I made sure that she understood that only two things produce the price on any bid 1. Time and 2. Overhead (or products in my case). She understood what I said and told me she wanted the least expensive products and wanted me to spend less time on certain areas (ie: she wanted us to caulk where we should have perhaps replaced a board or two)
So long as the customer is made aware of what they are paying for and why the price is less or more, I can craft a bid/job to fit the customers needs.


Nick D
White Bear Lake, MN 55110

No comments: